West Nile Virus (WNV) Antibody
Fasting Required: No

Specimen: Blood

Results: 6-8 Business Days

West Nile virus (WNV) is an infection that is transmitted to humans primarily by mosquitoes. It is not usually transmitted person-to-person, but there have been cases of WNV being passed on to others through blood donations, organ transplants, and rarely from a mother to child through breast milk. About 80% of people infected with WNV experience no symptoms. In the other 20%, it causes relatively mild flu-like symptoms such as headache, fever, and muscular weakness that resolve without treatment after a few days to a few weeks. Only 1 in 150 people infected with WNV becomes seriously ill with an infection that affects the central nervous system. These patients may have encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and/or meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord) and/or may experience muscular paralysis.

Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA)

Cross reactivity has been observed between alphavirus group and flavivirus group, e.g., yellow fever or yellow fever vaccination.

Note: Result turn around times are an estimate and are not guaranteed. Our reference lab may need additional time due to weather, holidays, confirmation/repeat testing, or equipment maintenance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *